Tuesday, January 8, 2008

True Love Waits


In the past few posts you have heard about my hand therapy, my niece and nephew, fun times with friends......but so far I haven't posted about who I really am. The main reason I have slacked on doing so is because I knew it was going to take some thought and I never have that much time to sit in front of the computer and think. However, I just finished closing up at work and have a few hours before my relief comes so now seems like a good time.

When I was around 14 years old I read a book called "I kissed dating good-bye" by Joshua Harris. http://www.joshharris.com/joshs_biography.php After that, there was no changing my mind. I made a commitment to God and myself that I was going to be different. I didn't want to date a guy just to say I had a boyfriend; I wasn't going to kiss a guy just because I liked him; I was rock solid.
I have only God to thank when I tell you that I still live that out to this day. Living out a commitment like that in this world isn't easy. There are all sorts of influences telling you that you're wrong, or that your weird for not having a relationship, or someone telling you that "you will never get married because you're not allowed to have a boyfriend"..........None of that mattered to me. Yes, it hurt. Yes, it was hard. But so totally worth it.

Around the age of 17 I felt God leading me towards a ministry for young girls ( jr. high ) I wanted to be that voice of encouragement. As soon as I graduated high school I held an 8 week purity camp for girls. We went through the book by Dannah Gresh called Secret Keeper Girl. http://purefreedom.org/
Whats the big Secret? Simple: Your purity. A secret is something that is kept between 2 people. In this case, you and your husband/wife. If you spread the 'secret' around to all your friends, whats so special about it now?

This is how I explain purity to the girls. (Remember I'm talking to 8-12 year olds)
"Your purity is like a box all wrapped up in shiny paper with a beautiful gold bow on top. Now, lets say you're in a relationship with a guy and you give him your first kiss. He just tore the bow off the top of your shiny package. The next time it goes a little furter and he rips off the ribbon. Eventually you give yourself away completely and he tears off the paper leaving you with an empty cardboard box. Time passes and you both move on, becoming only memories in the other persons mind. Well, in walks your prince charming! You fall in love and get married.......but all you have left to give him is an empty cardboard box. The gold bow is gone; Even the ribbon and shiny paper are gone. Now you wish you hadn't given away the best part of your gift."

I want to reach out
To girls before they tell the secret: Tell them of the love of Jesus Christ
To girls who have already told the secret: Tell them of the forgivness of Jesus Christ


You got the short version :-) I could go on for hours on this subject......but now that I finally did this post I will talk about this again later on.
I'm glad that my readers out in blog land now know some of Kristin's heart........not just hand therapy :-)

But for now remember that True Love Waits. First find the unfading love of Jesus Christ, and use that as your example.

"I am committed to Purity for my future mate because my Heavenly Father has lovingly instructed me to do so."
--Philippians 4:8

1 comment:

Chuck said...

wow thanks for posting that "bio"
Shaun and Karen were really blessed with alot of grace to make up for all those "not so good" parent moments... you don't know how encouraging that is to someone who is 'smack dab' in the middle of raising kids and finding it a very hard job, and hoping and praying for God's grace to fill in for my failures.