Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Thankful Thoughts #4 --- Spare Keys and A Big Brother


I was running some errands for work and talking to Wray on my phone while I was driving. Just as I was pulling in my parking spot at work our conversation ended with him telling me he was getting ready to leave the house. ( Mom and Dad were both gone for the day )
I hung up the phone, turned off the car, and got out with my phone and keys in hand.
"This is goofy", I thought, "I don't need to carry in my phone and keys, I'm just dropping stuff off and coming right back out."
Now, I normally lock my doors when I go into work, just out of good habit. So I threw my phone and keys on my front seat, and (out of habit) locked my door. As if in slow motion, I slammed the car door shut just as I was thinking " Oh darn, I'm locking my keys in my car!"
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it was too late. The deed had already been done, and there was no way of reversing the fact that I was locked out of my car standing in the parking lot at work.
"Easy enough to fix," I thought. "I'll just call Wray real quick before he leaves and ask him to bring me my spare key." So I reached into my pocket to retrieve my phone....."oh yeah, I locked my phone in there too!" Figuring that Wray was probably walking out the door at that very second, I ran across the parking lot, flew through the door, across the room, and slid over to the phone. ( Getting some very strange looks from my co-workers, might I add) I dialed the house phone, but nobody picked up. "Darn, he already left!"
So I went to dial Wrays number...and my mind went blank! "Ah noodles! What is Wrays number?" I usually just use the phone book on my cell phone, so I hadn't actually dialed it for a while. After a few failed attempts, I finally remembered all the numbers in the correct order :-)
Thankfully, Wray was only at the end of our drive way, so he went back inside and got my key for me. When he pulled into the parking lot he just rolled down his window, held out the key, and rolled his eyes as if to say, "What a weirdo".

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Don't feel bad. That has happened to me a good bit in my life. One day, while I was in college, I was trying to get on the freeway to go home from Allegany College and because I was directionally challenged at that point, I went in the wrong direction and almost ended up at sideling hill thinking I was headed back home. That very day, I was low on gas and had forgot my purse which meant no license and no money for gas. I made it home thankfully, but that same night, I went to the movies at deep creek with a few friends and managed to lock the keys in my mom and dad's car! Isn't it a yucky feeling to shut the door and then realize, oh crap, I locked myself out!? I'm glad Wray got your key for you though!!!

Anonymous said...

Did you mean to say Darn insted of Dam.........It sounds more like a christian talking, so please change the m to rn. I really like your blogsite.

Anonymous said...

It is a r n it just looks like a m!!!

Kristin said...

Just to clear everything up.....that really is a r-n; it just appears as an single m when typed out. Hopefully after reading my blog for a while you will notice that I never use those kinds of words. Thanks for the concern though, and I'm glad you're reading my blog....whoever you may be! :-)

Anonymous said...

HI KRISTIN, I AM GLAD THAT I AM HOME WAITING FOR A BED AT JOHNS HOPKINS INSTEAD OF LOOKING AT THOSE FOUR WALLS IN 537. IF EVERYTHING GOES OK, I WILL BE OPERATED ON THIS COMING WEDNESDAY.
AND AS FAR AS THE LOCKED KEYS IN YOUR CAR, I HAVE DONE THAT BEFORE AND HAD TO CALL A LOCK SMITH. IT TURNED OUT TO BE SOMEONE THAT PAP KNOWS WELL, HA HA. OF ALL PLACES, IT WAS THE DIMOND SHINE IN LAVALE. GLAD YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL BROTHER.
I TRULY BELIEVE THAT GOD HAD A HAND IN THIS. LOVE YA! G. Rosina