Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mood Music

Have you ever heard the statement, "The music you listen to will decide what kind of mood you're in"? I read an article in a magazine last month that said just that. It caught my curiosity so I decided to do an experiment.

I have a lot of time when I'm just riding in my car; 20 minutes to school 3 times a week ( an then again headed home), 15 minutes to the church several times a week, any other time I do stuff during the week usually involves at least a 15 minute ride down the mountain.


So, I separated my Christian Artist CDs from my Secular Artists CDs. For one week straight, I listened to only the secular artists during drive time. Artists such as


FM Static
Plain White T's
Linkin Park
Jordin Sparks
Hello, Goodbye

I must say that I had a very depressing, emotional week! As I listened to these songs all these emotions would start popping up. My heart was heavy with hurts, I was irritable with my family, I hated school, and my life centered around my hurts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the next week I listened to all Christian Artists. ( Too many to name them all, so I'll just mention a few that I listened to)

Casting Crowns

Brandon Heath

Newsboys

Fireflight

Jeff Johnson

Chris Tomlin

It was amazing how much of a change there was! I had such an encouraging week. My heart was light, I couldn't wait 'til my family got home in the evening, I looked forward to going to school, and God turned the hurts into JOY!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The secular songs were all about heartbreaks, relationships failing, hurt, depression, and so on. But during that second week God reminded me how much HE loves me. I don't need to rely on the things of this earth to make me happy. People will fail, hurts will come, life will not go how I planned it, and yes...that anatomy homework will still be waiting for me when I get home.....but God never fails! He is my Constant.

So the next time you go to pop in that CD or turn on that ipod, think about the message of the songs. Will they bring you down, or will they remind you of the love of God and give you a Christ centered day........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must agree with you Kristin. I used to like Country Music, very few songs now that I can listen to.
Christian songs give you a lift and you can worship God no matter where you are.even driving a car right? G. Rosina

Anonymous said...

There is really a lot of truth in this - even if I love my non-Christian CD's all the same and there is hardly anything that gives a better mood than Evan & Jaron.

But the Christian CD's are mostly PRAYERS and mostly I sing along with what I her and this changes my attitude.

Oh, and I just added a Brandon Heath CD to my Christmas Wish List - didn't know him so far, but your blog soundtrack is amazing yet again
:-)

Anonymous said...

i like this blog. well i like the one below as well because that was a fun day. but ive tried that experiment before. and its so tru. we just never really realize it. i love that song that says" be careful little ears what u hear, be careful little eyes what you see" its very true. what we put in us effects what comes out. we must always be encouraged and lifted up by what we see and hear. good post!